Tuesday 19 February 2013

Semester 2 Pitch Week

So I just had my semester 2 pitch presentation session and despite a few nervous blunders loosing my place in my notes due to the darkness of the HMC cinema... I think it went pretty well!




Notes to go along with slides available from: https://www.box.com/s/w8ezkmzw9llln0amc1q9

On to feedback, my notes are a little erratic here and I think thats due to the after effect of nerves and it being too dark to see what I was writing (I should have put the lights back on...)
The staff seemed pretty pleased with the progress I'd made in terms of developing the project idea, and in my attempts to improve my technical skills themselves. One thing they picked up on was that they suggested I continue was looking back at previous works and comparing them to the recent media tests I'm doing now, and critiquing them both in terms of progression and development.

The only criticisms were that I needed to soften the edges of the lighting/shadows (which is an issue I picked up on in my previous blog post Lighting Tutorials.) And that I needed to think about the reflectivity and colour bounce of the lights on the shiny wooden floor of the first scene (with the lounge chair and circular window) So I'll be again looking into fixing these issues in my next tests.

I've also to look into how lighting is connected to mood and story, and clarify how that's going to come across in my design, so a study of lighting in narrative games might be a good idea. Robin (I think) also suggested I look into spatial design and how form/space and architectural theory. It was suggested that I watch Stephen King's "The Stand" to see how film sequences display this.

Brian suggested that I choose a story/novel and design an environment around an iconic event that takes place within it.

When I spoke of my idea to design 3 or 4 rooms which each conveyed a different mood/atmosphere, Robin suggested that instead of them being disconnected rooms showcasing moods, that they be connected and tell a progressive story, such as the story of a relationship - where the first room would feature a table and chairs and symbolise a first date, then it would progress on to the boudoir bedroom and could end in a marital suite or a scene of the aftermath of a fight or breakup. I quite liked this idea.

All in all, I was pretty happy with the feedback and suggestions I got. I think it came across in the presentation that I'm more sure in what I'm doing now, and I'm not floundering nearly as much as I was last semester.





No comments:

Post a Comment